How Does Disruptive Physician Behavior Evolve?
In training programs, modeling instructors, attending you haven’t had a fantastic day unless the physicians are angry at you, we don’t always understand how we encounter:
- Poor anger control skills
- Failed expectations for perfection
- The new wave of doctor frustrations
The evolution of this behavior needs:
- Managed care
- Decreased autonomy
- Decreased reimbursements
- Increased government regulations
- Industry acumen weak
What Can the Behavior Mean?
- Sign of additional impairments (alcohol, drugs)
- Sign of diminished competence
- Sign of stress
- A signal of none emotional intelligence / too perfectionistic personality. To know more about the disruptive behavior you can refer to the source: Report Unsafe Working Conditions | Unsafe Work Environment.
- Sign of mental illness
How Is Disruptive Behavior a Threat to Patient Safety?
- Boost stress within the healthcare group
- Decreases openness to communicate
- Inhibits nurses and pharmacists from questioning orders or patient care plans
- Expensive for your company
The Cascade of Disrespect
If the process and the cycle are unchecked:
- May accelerate to intimidation, bullying, and seldom, violence
- May pick targeted individuals
- Normally involves the power imbalance
- Inexperienced, unassertive, passive characters are targets
- Rarely peers
- Finally, normalizes behavior: It’s the way things are around here.